smb access problem

Shlomo Solomon shlomo.solomon at gmail.com
Fri Mar 16 14:47:01 IST 2012

I have a D-link router (from Bezeq). It runs Samba so you can put a USB disk
on the home network.

When I access smb://10.0.0.138 from Firefox, I can see the files on the USB
disk. But when I try the same thing from Dolphin, Krusader or Konqueror I'm
asked for a username and password. I discovered that if I enter user as the
username and no password, I can reach the files, but I don't understand why I
needed to enter the user in Dolphin, or how I can change this.

On a similar note, I have a directory on my Linux machine shared over the
network, also using Samba. I discovered that the same thing happens here. So,
in this case, I can reach smb://10.0.0.1 in Firefox, but in Dolphin I have to
enter my username, but with no password.

What am I doing wrong?
--
Shlomo Solomon
http://the-solomons.net