a game to publicise [was Re: משחק להפיץ]

Shlomi Fish shlomif at shlomifish.org
Wed May 23 21:11:26 IDT 2012

Hi Dotan,

On Tue, 22 May 2012 02:23:30 +0300
Dotan Cohen <dotancohen at gmail.com> wrote:

> As probably most people on the list do, I try to get friends and
> family off Internet Explorer. Recently on Slashdot there was mention
> of a game that only works in Chrome:
> http://getcrackin.angrybirds.com/
>
> Angry Birds is a popular game, and just sending this link to people
> gets most of them to install Chrome! So I encourage other list members
> to "suggest" this game to friends and family. Don't even mention
> Chrome, let them discover that detail on their own.

I've spoken with someone from Mozilla-Israel (BCCed to this message) now and he
told me that Angry Birds works fine in Mozilla Firefox too (though it may not be
mentioned there and may require changing the User-Agent header). In general, I
think that restricting features to particular browsers, even if they are
open-source (which is the case for the Google Chromium project and not for
Google Chrome itself), hurts the open web and causes web fragmentation:

http://shlomif-tech.livejournal.com/2010/08/31/

That put aside, I don't mind if sites will be displayed or behave in a
somewhat broken manner in old versions (or even new version) of Microsoft
Internet Explorer, as I explained here:

http://www.shlomifish.org/no-ie/

This is because Microsoft is not doing enough to conform to the web standards,
and there are open-source alternatives for MSIE everywhere it runs.

I should also note that with all the noise surrounding Chrome's performance, the
automated tests for the JS port of my ABC-Path solver and generator ran
significantly faster when I tested them on Firefox:

https://bitbucket.org/shlomif/abc-path/overview

Regards,

	Shlomi Fish