LDAP (Active Directory) and user statuses

shimi linux-il at shimi.net
Thu May 31 18:42:58 IDT 2012

On May 31, 2012 6:14 PM, "ik" <idokan at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I need to write an application (on Linux) that checks with Active
Directory if a user is logged in, and few other details about that user.
> The only thing I do not understand, is how can I check if a user has
logged in or not.

> Does anyone have any experience with this issue and can shed some light,
or point me to a good documentation on the subject ?

> Thanks,
> Ido

AFAIK, AD doesn't "know" a user is "logged in", because AD is not a login
service, rather than an information source (e.g. *can* you login or not
with the credentials provided). Also, you may be logged in to multiple
stations on the domain... which one is the important to you? How would it
know?

You need workstations/server level info, not AD, IMHO.

For example you could query NetBIOS via nbtstat -A ipaddr from a remote
windows machine... there should be samba equivalent (don't remember by
heart, sending this from my sgs2)

Hope this helps...

-- *Shimi*