monitor hours

Amos Shapira amos.shapira at gmail.com
Thu Nov 1 12:14:03 IST 2012

All the privacy purists are going to jump on my ass but I found RescueTime (
http://www.rescuetime.com/) to be very good at tracking what you do - it
can tell which web site you are on and classifies them (work, neutral,
leisure, other classes as you define). You can also add "offline time",
e.g. maybe if you want to count time to travel to a customer's site.

It's not meant as a time tracker tool for billing but to help you find out
where you spend your time and decide how/what you can improve to be more
productive. But that said, it's very accurate at finding out where your
focus was. It supports Linux, OSX and even Android, and tracks everything
centrally across all your devices.

Cheers,

--Amos

On 1 November 2012 20:29, Erez D <erez0001 at gmail.com> wrote:

> hello
>
> many times i want to know what hour i started working and what hour i ended
> e.g. when i need to submit an hour report at the end of the month.
>
> i usually keep an hours file, but many times i forget to update it
>
> i am looking for a way to monitor the activity on my computer (i usually
> use it via vnc)
> maybe let the screensaver log when it started and when it ends, so i have
> a rough estimate of the hours i was working on the computer
> note that many times my vnc session stays open , so looking for login log
> will not help ...
>

> anyone has an idea how to do that ?
>
> thanks,
> erez.