monitor hours

Nadav Har'El nyh at math.technion.ac.il
Thu Nov 1 13:15:12 IST 2012

On Thu, Nov 01, 2012, Erez D wrote about "monitor hours":
> i am looking for a way to monitor the activity on my computer (i usually
> use it via vnc)

I'm not sure how you use VNC - if you close VNC when you stop working,
you can look at the VNC server log on the remote machine. Assuming it's
Linux (it's linux-il after all ;-)), look at $HOME/.vnc/*.log. You'll
see entries like:

Mon Oct 29 16:56:23 2012
 Connections: accepted: 1.2.3.4::2169

Mon Oct 29 18:19:09 2012
 Connections: closed: 1.2.3.4::2169 (Clean disconnection)

> maybe let the screensaver log when it started and when it ends, so i have a
> rough estimate of the hours i was working on the computer

I'm sure there's a way to do this, but how to do it obviously depends on
your environment/screensaver.

Two other options you can consider:

1. If you use a shell, tell it to keep history with timestamps (see your
   shell's manual page on how to use it), then you can know when you ran
   which command.

2. Turn on process accounting (a quick Google search turned up these
   instructions:
http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/howto-log-user-activity-using-process-accounting.html
   and see what commands were run, when.

--
Nadav Har'El                        |    Thursday, Nov 1 2012, 16 Heshvan 5773