Samba permission problem

Shlomo Solomon shlomo.solomon at gmail.com
Sun Nov 4 19:34:39 IST 2012

Thanks for your help (Shimi and Oleg).

In the end I found a work around after discovering that:
1 - from the command line on the remote machine I couldn't even create
files, so I guess dolphin was "hiding" part of the problem from me.
2 - the problem existed also when connecting from a Win7 machine on the
network, so it was certainly related to Samba and not to the specific
Linux machine.
3 - according to the log files, all connections were being made by
"nobody" and not by the actual users. In my "defense", I can say that I
didn't notice that fact because files were being created with the
proper user and permissions.

In any case, since this is a home network and I'm really not worried
about my wife seeing my files or my kids' files and vice-versa, I
edited smb.conf and set force user to my user-name and create mode to
777. That's certainly not a secure solution, but in my case good enough
and solves the problem.

--
Shlomo Solomon
http://the-solomons.net