Is forbidding concurrent ssh sessions a good idea?

Nadav Har'El nyh at math.technion.ac.il
Mon Nov 12 12:51:46 IST 2012

On Mon, Nov 12, 2012, Elazar Leibovich wrote about "Re: Is forbidding concurrent ssh sessions a good idea?":
> While I can certainly see what's broken with it for using a regular
> computer, whose stability I do not value much, and while there are
> difficulties this may cause, do you see anything specific that will break
> in the use case of a production server?

Let me offer another completely different idea, without any kills and
similar tricks: End your ~/.profile with "screen -R -D"

What will this do?

The login shell will start screen(1), and let the admin work in it.
If another admin logs in, he doesn't just kill the existing session - he
also takes over the existing instance of "screen", and can see what the
other admin was in the middle of doing.

This "screen" will also allow the admin to have multiple screens - which
you prevent him from doing with several separate sshs, so he'll
appreciate "screen" anyway.

If you don't know screen(1), I suggest you learn it - it is an
absolutely wonderful tool.

--
Nadav Har'El                        |     Monday, Nov 12 2012, 27 Heshvan 5773