Is forbidding concurrent ssh sessions a good idea?

Yedidyah Bar-David linux-il at didi.bardavid.org
Mon Nov 12 23:10:50 IST 2012

On Mon, Nov 12, 2012 at 06:32:25PM +0200, E.S. Rosenberg wrote:
> +1 for tmux, this does however imply that all the admins are using the
> same account to login (bad scenario) with or instead the tmux/screen
> line should be added at the end of /root/.profile and not ~/.profile

IIRC screen, perhaps tmux too, has some rather complex set of permissions
management options, which I would not be surprized if it turns out that
actually do allow sharing a session from two different users. I did not
try this. I su to the person's user if I want to share a session. Note
that (by default?) you need to chown your tty to the other user or
screen won't work.

> Just note that tmux inside of tmux or screen inside of screen tend to
> behave bad/not work, screen inside of tmux works, I never tried the
> other way around.

Never had problems with screen inside screen. Actually, my everyday
work environment comprizes of 3-level screens, some of which also have
tmux inside them. I use different key combinations to travel around and
it works very well. IIRC I did have to change a few configuration options
when moving it from RedHat/CentOS to Debian, but other than that, it
worked more-or-less error-free for something like 5 years now.

Tell me if you want my configuration. It's not very elaborate, only
does what it's meant to do - if you google for things like screenrc
you'll find many examples of what people do with it.
--
Didi