tablets, readers and E ink - a question

Amichai Rotman amichai at iglu.org.il
Mon Oct 8 12:58:35 IST 2012

Hi,

I own an e-vrit e-ink reader and a Samsung 10.1 Galaxy Tablet.

I used the e-vrit for a while to read books from the e-vrit site and some
plain text classics. It does feel easier on the eyes, but it was very slow
to respond, so the experience is somewhat diminished... PDF files are
supported, but unusable - the screen is too small and the CPU is too slow
to render the image - about 2-3 seconds for each page flip.

Since then I switched to the Galaxy Tablet and I barely put it down: I use
it for reading mostly (80%), some puzzle games and some web browsing. Being
an Android device, it has integrated support for all Google services
(including Gmail, of course).

It is a bit less comfortable to read for a long time, but I don't have that
much free time anyway. I mostly read on the go or before sleep.

I'd strongly recommend a 10" Android-based tablet. I don't know the Kindle
Fire HD specs too well, but I guess you'd find some limitations with it.
The e-ink technology is not very useful yet, i'd wait for the next
generation.

In short:

If you are going to read a lot of content you buy from the provider
(e-vrit, Amazon) and have access to a light source - Go with the Kindle /
e-ink device. 10" is the optimal screen size for PDF files. Microsoft Doc
files are not very well supported with Kindle.

If you want some freedom to choose the e-texts source (PDF, epub, text,
etc.) and you are on the go most of the time - Go with the Android 10"
Tablet.

Good Luck!
   Amichai Rotman
 Penguin - FLOSS Computer Service and Technical Consulting
 +972-73-7962360 ||  +972-54-4605787
   עמיחי רוטמן
 פינגווין - שרותי מחשוב וייעוץ טכני בקוד פתוח
 073-7962360 ||  054-4605787

Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail!