Current Video Card winning horse?

Ira Abramov Lists-Linux-IL at ira.abramov.org
Wed Oct 10 15:16:40 IST 2012

Quoting Amos Shapira, from the post of Wed, 10 Oct:
> (Piggy backing but is related)
> What about USB3 monitors? Are they a viable option yet?

not that I could find. I have no idea if the standard is even
implemented, nor if it is supported in Linux.

> > Requirements:
> > - have it play nice with Xorg (Debian/Ubuntu).
> > - preferably FOSS drivers, but only if rock solid.
> > - preferably a GPU that supports CUDA/OpenCL (though the only client I
> >   have for it ATM is BOINC https://boinc.berkeley.edu/wiki/GPU_computing )
> > - preferably dual-port, so I can send a signal to a secondary
> >   screen/projector.
> > - No special gamer mad features needed. The most 3D I'll do with it is
> >   probably Desktop Cube :)

Well, the screen arrived today and I can tell you two things...

A. I hooked it up with the D-Sub of my piss-ant on-board intel chip, and
other than a slight blurriness (due to analog signal loss, no doubt, or
a low-q A/D), it seems to push the full resolution quite well. 2560X1440
at 60Hz, I get good response, and full screen video is fine, even 1080P
video files render nicely, though you can see the frame rate is not
full.

B. a friend who is a video editor will give me an older dual HD4850 ATI
card. At 1 TeraFLOP it can handle 4 HD screens, so I have no doubt it
will be over the top for my modest single screen, and the price is so
cheap (used) that I don't mind the old hardware version.

Thanks for all your input :-)

--
Bachelor number one
Ira Abramov