question about lshw

sara fink sara.fink at gmail.com
Thu Oct 11 09:51:08 IST 2012

On Wed, Oct 10, 2012 at 6:38 PM, Doron Shikmoni <doron at isoc.org.il> wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 10, 2012 at 5:08 PM, sara fink <sara.fink at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Finally got to this issue. Here is the output of dmidecode regarding the
>> battery. It shows  4 times portable battery
>> (...)
>>
>> Looks like pretty much the same. Now how do I check if this is indeed a 6
>> cell battery or less?
>>

> Yeah, they read off the same data, this was just a cross-check.
>
> So if I had to guess I'd say that the battery mis-reports its attributes
> via DMI data, big time (see all the fields that are filled with junk
> placeholders rather than actual info).

Indeed. Although I have this feeling that all companies do the same, simply
because they don't care too much about these fields.

> Could it be that the battery you're holding is listed as "Samsung
> AA-PB9NC6B *replacement* battery" (emphasis on "replacement" if you don't
> read HTML mail)? This would mean it's a low cost aftermarket vendor rather
> than original Samsung, which can explain why its firmware is broken so
> profoundly.

It is not a replacement. It's a original battery of samsung. It has 4400mAh
48Wh, 11.1V.  BUT, it's written: Battery cells made in Korea. Assembled in
China. It's a new laptop bought from bug.