new disk - rsync or hardware problem

Shlomi Fish shlomif at shlomifish.org
Fri Oct 12 10:14:37 IST 2012

Hi Shlomo,

On Fri, 12 Oct 2012 09:52:47 +0200
Shlomo Solomon <shlomo.solomon at gmail.com> wrote:

> short version:
> I have a new USB external drive. The script I used on my old disk
> crashes randomly after the disk mysteriously becomes read-only.
> Re-mounting solves the problem. I suspect a hardware problem, but
> can't prove it and I'm sure if I go to BUG with the disk they'll say
> "It doesn't support Linux. That's your problem"
>
> long version:
> I bought a new LaCie Minimus 2Tb as a backup drive. My existing backup
> drive is a WD Elements 1Tb and I have a script that uses rsync to
> backup all my partitions. The backup script works fine on the old
> disk. Here's a sample line from the script:
> rsync -rlvtogS --delete --ignore-errors  /data2  $MOUNT/data
>
> BTW - all the partitions being backed up are on my box and the USB
> backup disk is also connected to the same box - Mandriva 2011.0 with
> all updates installed.
>
> The first thing I did was to delete the pre-installed Windows
> partition and create a ReiserFS partition (same as on the existing
> disk).

I have no direct idea about your problem, but I had a bad experience
with ReiserFS back in the time (on non-external hard drives), and later
used XFS, ext3 and ext4 without any particular problems so far.

For all I know it may be a problem with ReiserFS and I would suggest using
a different file system. If that doesn't help with this particular problem,
then you can try filing a bug on https://bugzilla.kernel.org/ .

Regards,

	Shlomi Fish