Establishing a Mageia Mirror in Israel

Shlomi Fish shlomif at shlomifish.org
Sun Oct 28 10:35:07 IST 2012

Hi Shlomo,

On Sat, 27 Oct 2012 18:49:27 +0200
Shlomo Solomon <shlomo.solomon at gmail.com> wrote:

> As a VERY long time user of Mandrake/Mandriva, I've been following news,
> reviews, etc about Mageia but still haven't decided to "jump ship". I
> think my main problems are:
> 1 - the hassle of making the move

This is naturally expected. There's always such a hassle.

> 2 - the fear (maybe ungrounded) that some applications, drivers, etc may
> be missing

Mageia should be as comprehensive regarding drivers as Mandriva is.
Some applications may be missing, but you can file a packaging request on
http://bugs.mageia.org/ (and let me know about it, so I can try to dedicate
some time to it) and given enough rpm-fu, you can package these applications
yourself.

> 3 - the hope (probably mis-guided) that the forks will re-unite

Well, Mandriva's move to rpm5 poses a problem for that.

Regards,

	Shlomi Fish