question about lshw

Doron Shikmoni doron at isoc.org.il
Wed Sep 12 01:18:58 IDT 2012

Hello Sara,

A couple comments:

1. lshw takes (most of) its data out of DMI, and interprets some of it
based on hardcoded constants. This might translate into incorrect
interpretation for some of the info, in this case, the battery's chemistry
or the number of batteries. Another possibility is that the battery or the
laptop wrongly reports its own attributes, or some similar discrepancy.

It might be interesting to take the output of dmidecode and compare notes
with lshw.

2. The fact that you get a report for more than one battery is orthogonal
and unrelated to the number of cells. The cells (4,6, or 9 of them) are all
part of one battery, and do not represent separate batteries. In other
words, for one 6-cell battery, the correct report should have been one
battery, not 6.
So the fact that you received a report about batteries 0-3 does not
indicate 4 cells, but rather, incorrect counting of battery instances by
lshw (or incorrect DMI reporting by Mr. MoBo).

Hope this helps,
Doron