How many times can an internet connection interruption occur and still be considered acceptable?

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Mon Apr 1 22:12:04 IDT 2013

I use Bezeq for my infrastructure and Bezeq Beinleumi for my ISP.
Every hour or two my internet connection is disconnected. It will
remain so until I unplug the modem and plug it back in. Connected to
the modem is a D-Link DIR-320 router, which connects my Ubuntu machine
via cable and various other devices (laptop, Nook, Android phone) via
wireless.

Yesterday I called Bezeq Beineumi about the issue, as I've been told
by both companies that when the modem's DSL light is lit that the
problem is with the ISP. The woman who answered (Galit) informed me
that she shows 4 disconnects that day (this was at about 14:00) and
that 4 disconnects in a day is considered valid (תקין). Is this really
considered valid in the industry? Have things really gotten this bad
for consumers?

She furthermore insisted that the problem is not with Bezeq Beinleumi
but rather with Bezeq, despite the DSL lights. We got a Bezeq
technician on the line (Alex) who could not help us diagnose the issue
because there was no Windows machine to connect directly to the modem.
However, he agreed to send a technician here tomorrow. Unfortunately,
I won't be here (my wife will meet the technician) so I suspect that
if this intermittent issue does not appear during that time then
nothing will get fixed.

Is 4 disconnects per half-day really considered acceptable now? Other
than the DSL light, can I diagnose problems myself? How? How can I
diagnose a bad modem on a home Linux machine? If when the internet is
'down', if I can still access the router's web control panel is that a
sign that the router is not to blame? Might the router be to blame,
even though a modem reset resolves the issue and even though I can
still access the router when the internet is down?

Thanks.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il