Recommendations for an all-in-one printer/fax/scanner?

Oron Peled oron at actcom.co.il
Mon Aug 19 00:35:23 IDT 2013

On Sunday 18 August 2013 10:41:38 Omer Zak wrote:
> I would say that today it's "anything but HP" - unless things changed
> for the better during the last two or so years.

Really? Let's debunk this baseless paragraph...

* I'll start with personal and therefore anecdotal experience:
  - HP LaserJet-5L (yes, in the 90's) -- still with old 'lpr'
  - Later two HP-DeskJet's -- forgot which exact models
  - Than an All-In-One (HP-PSC-1210, USB connection)
  - Currently an All-In-One HP-OfficeJet-6313 (Using Ethernet)

In terms of Linux support:
  - HP maintains HPLIP support since ~2005
  - All is FOSS (GPLv2, BSD, MIT)
  - As a result, it's included in all major distributions.
  - So it works out of the box.
  - It supports all functions:
    - Printing (via CUPS)
    - Scanning (via a SANE plugin, so you can scan directly from
      LibreOffice, Gimp, etc.)
    - Faxing (scanning + some glue FOSS code in python).
    - Reading ink-levels, calibrating, etc.
  - If you encounter bugs, your distro developers can actually do
    something about it. Here are HPLIP bugs for Fedora/RHEL:
       https://bugzilla.redhat.com/buglist.cgi?component=hplip

> I am an happy user of the Brother MFC-490W printer-FAX-scanner-copier.

* Can you enlighten us where did you get the drivers? (for ALL functions).
* I did google'd and found deb/rpm BINARIES for this printer in
  Brother's site.
* Are there FOSS-licensed sources? (not hidden behind click-walls) --
  this is the only interesting question.

Bye,

--
Oron Peled                                 Voice: +972-4-8228492
oron at actcom.co.il                  http://users.actcom.co.il/~oron