OT: Cellular banking

E.S. Rosenberg esr+linux-il at g.jct.ac.il
Thu Dec 5 23:41:46 IST 2013

MITM is (as far as currently known) only possible if they have a CA
you trust, as far as the lower layer encryption goes:

GSM (2G/GPRS) has been hacked and for all intents and purposes is
unencrypted these days if the person has the right reception
equipment/hack phone.
UMTS (3G/HSPA) has much stronger encryption which afaik has not yet
been cracked, I would expect newer generations (4G/LTE) to be even
more secure, but of course it all stands on whether or not your
provider enables the features/settings, 2g for instance can be made
slightly harder to crack but that is mostly disabled due to legacy
equipment.

Personally I think the main factor in security when dealing with your
bank or any other secure connection is the trust you have in the two
endpoints: yourself and the bank.
Do I trust my computer to still be clean and secure and therefor be
able to notify me of a MITM attack (except when it's being perpetrated
with valid certs, which is a lot harder to begin with).
And do I trust the other side (bank servers), for this we generally
rely on the SSL certificate trust tree, and unless you intend to keep
a hard copy of cert fingerprints to verify and are paranoid enough to
work that way I think we can assume it's okay.

The hops in the middle are (I think) less relevant because unless you
were using some ancient browser that didn't support a strong cypher
AND the bank still allowed weak cyphers all the traffic will be
encrypted sufficiently to make it not economical to attack your
private bank account like that.
(That is the whole point of encryption passing the message between
Alice and Bob without anyone else (Eve) listening being able to
understand the message)

Regards,
Eliyahu - אליהו