OT: Cellular banking

E.S. Rosenberg esr+linux-il at g.jct.ac.il
Fri Dec 6 01:10:10 IST 2013

2013/12/6 Oleg Goldshmidt <pub at goldshmidt.org>:
> "E.S. Rosenberg" <esr+linux-il at g.jct.ac.il> writes:
>
>> UMTS (3G/HSPA) has much stronger encryption which afaik has not yet
>> been cracked, I would expect newer generations (4G/LTE) to be even
>> more secure
>
> It is reportedly possible to jam the 3G/4G signal so that handsets will
> fall back to 2G...
It is also possible (and very advisable) to set your handset to
3G-only mode, in which case it can't/won't failover to 2G, for talk it
will still fall back on 3G because talk over 4G still hasn't been
standardized (4G is aimed mainly at data, the assumption is that talk
will use some form of VOIP, possibly SIP).
(Then again all talk of 4G is still fairly moot in Israel since afaik
we only have a few small testing network so far, no real 4G coverage
yet just really fast 3G).

Note that you will finish your battery faster when using 3G only since
2G requires less power, though I assume in newer phones those
differences will be smaller due to more efficient chip/transceiver
designs.

Regards,
Eliyahu - אליהו