OT: rooting vs. warranty in Israel? [Was: Linux with Android MTP]

Oleg Goldshmidt pub at goldshmidt.org
Tue Dec 10 14:38:50 IST 2013

Shlomo Solomon <shlomo.solomon at gmail.com> writes:

> Oleg Shalom,
>
> I'm pretty sure that the link you provided is a "generic"
> Samsung warranty (for appliances, TVs, etc) and not specifically for
> phones, so that would explain why there's no mention of rooting.

Hmm... I was on the specific Mobile Phone and Accessories page, but by
default Samsung send you to AU so I just changed au->il. On the IL page
the product category links disappeared, and I missed that. Software is
not specifically mention on the AU page for phones, except where it
defines a "Samsung product", specifically excluding software not
pre-loaded at the time of sale (by an authorized Samsung re-seller). NB:
I (IANAL) read this as NOT voiding the warranty on the Samsung product,
just that the warranty does not cover independently installed SW.

> Under Israeli law, all electronic goods costing over 150 Shekels must
> have at least a 1 year warranty. Here's a link.
> http://www.moital.gov.il/NR/exeres/8D759CFE-E35B-4F44-8642-B5CED0F7429F.htm
>
> The exception (according to that link) is intentional damage or
> unauthorized use, but I assume there could be a claim that rooting is
> "intentional" or "unauthorized" and everyone "knows" that it potentially
> causes damage. The law also states that if the provider proves
> negligence ("RASHLANUT") he must still repair damage but can demand
> payment. Again, who defines if rooting is negligence?

IANAL, IANAL... I only see "intentional damage by consumer" there. I
don't see 'unauthorized use', and AFAIK such language usually means use
under conditions for which the device was not designed, e.g., outside of
a stated temperture range, under water, unauthorized repairs, etc. Note
that I understand it is the damage that must be intentional, not
anything that you do with the device. Merely intentionally rooting or
even intentionally installing a different operating system should not
void the warranty, but SW will not be covered, e.g., if your dialer
stops working Samsung will not accept liability (reasonably, I'd
say). Yes, I suppose that means that if you bring the device to a
service center and ask to re-flash the original image you may be charged
for it. However, if you have, say, dead pixels on your screen my
understanding is that the seller has to prove it is a direct effect of
the SW you installed to void the warranty - good luck. Note that if you
root, then overclock the device, and then claim that it overheats, they
may have a better case...

In any case, I am disappointed that there is no link to the actual
regulatory documents on that page. The previous paragraph assumes that
it reflects the regulation faithfully.

Oleg Goldshmidt | pub at goldshmidt.org