Cloud Backup

Nadav Har'El nyh at math.technion.ac.il
Sat Feb 23 18:33:19 IST 2013

On Sat, Feb 23, 2013, Hetz Ben Hamo wrote about "Re: Cloud Backup":
>    - You can use S3, but then the rsync could be problematic, since there
>    is no rsync "server" on the other side.

This is the part I'd need to code - run some sort of server process on
EC2. I agree that it would be easier to do this with EBS, so I don't
think I'll actually want to use S3 here (on an unrelated note, I do have
a pretty good plan on how to do incremental backup to S3 without any
server-side software, i.e., no code running on EC2 at all, but doing
this will be more complicated than assuming I can run code on EC2).

>    - Amazon EBS is nice, but the Micro instance to use it with EBSis free
>    based on your usage. I used the free Micro instance as a slave DNS and
>    after 2 months I had to pay for it since my free usage has been somehow
>    finished.

The difference here is that while DNS has to be always on - so it costs
you 2 cents an hour for the whole month - my backup isn't always on, I
can only turn it on when I want to back up, and then it will cost me 2
cents for a full hour (you can't pay for less than an hour). If I run it
once every day and assuming the increments will rarely take more than an
hour to send, this amounts to 60 cents a month, which is perfectly
acceptable.

>    - You can use several scripts that you can find on Google to rsync with
>    Dropbox.

I wonder how this can work without rsync support on the server side, but
thanks, I'll look.

--
Nadav Har'El                        |      Saturday, Feb 23 2013, 14 Adar 5773