The New Coolest Hack: emscripten - an LLVM bitcode to JavaScript Compiler

Shlomi Fish shlomif at shlomifish.org
Sun Jan 6 20:16:47 IST 2013

Hi Yedidyah,

On Sun, 6 Jan 2013 19:47:58 +0200
Yedidyah Bar-David <linux-il at didi.bardavid.org> wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 06, 2013 at 06:55:22PM +0200, Shlomi Fish wrote:
> > > Emscripten has many more, much cooler, demos here:
> > > https://github.com/kripken/emscripten/wiki including ports of Python,
> > > Ruby and Lua and some graphical games.
>
> On a semi-related note, see this, if you haven't already:
> http://bellard.org/jslinux/
> It's a Javascript emulator of a PC, booting linux right inside your
> browser.

I am well aware of it having been pointed to it by a friend of mine. There's
also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JPC_%28emulator%29 which is written in Java.
I tried jslinux and as cool as it is, it seemed very slow, even on my Core i3
machine. Emscripten seems to generate faster code, and since I hope the bug
getting "-O2" (or even "-O3" which is not always guaranteed to work
properly, but might work in my case) to work properly will be fixed, it may be
even faster than it currently is without any optimisations.

I wonder how usable will QEmu be after being compiled to JavaScript using
emscripten ... <evil-grin />.

> In case you do not recognize the name, this is the guy that wrote
> and maintained for a long time qemu, ffmpeg, and other, lesser known
> but not less amazing stuff. Have a look at his homepage.

Impressive.

Regards,

	Shlomi Fish