Used/cheap computer

Steve G. wordz2u at gmail.com
Sat Jan 12 10:01:17 IST 2013

Background:

I need to run SPSS on a computer, and there is a good likelihood that it
would have to be a Windows machine (licensing issues mean that the packages
available to me are MacOS and Windows only, though SPSS V.21 is also
available for Linux).

My laptop and Netbook are dual boot, but the latter is too weak and lacks
enough memory to deal with production class data sets, and the former runs
Linux and I need to keep it that way. It is not strong enough or with
enough memory to run a virtual machine in Linux without killing performance
on everything else.

Question:

I need a new/used computer, probably a desktop and not laptop (price), with
enough processing power and memory (multi-core, 4-8 GB RAM, 2 might suffice
but should be easy to expand), with a legitimate licensed version Windows
(could be 7, or even XP - I prefer not 8) preinstalled, preferably in
Israel (that is, so it would not give me grief with word processing). I
don't need a monitor or keyboard, just the box itself, with VGA pin output
(15 pin RGB connector to low end flat screen monitor, with no HDMI, etc.
ports).

Any suggestions where I could find one AT A FAIR PRICE? What price is
considered a fair price, for that matter?

Epilogue

PLEASE, please, please stick to the question and don't get sidetracked. I
am looking for suggestions regarding a cheap, powerful, new/used box.
 Focus on that point.

I know about R and PSPP and a bunch of other programs that run on *nix, and
I am not going to use them now. I also know that I can conceivably run
light footprint emulators or hypervisors, and I am not going to reconfigure
my laptop to run Xen and Wine, or any of them, either, until I have a
powerful spare machine, which is never. I am not going to shop in Tiger
Direct in Miami or any other discount US store until such time I am there,
and I am not interested in moral discussions about OSS or views and
opinions about what I am doing. Just advice about cheap hardware.

Thanks so much,

Z.