Parts of the internet keep on disappearing on me

Shachar Shemesh shachar at shemesh.biz
Tue Jan 22 08:09:04 IST 2013

I'll try to summarize in a single reply.

You all made some very good suggestions, that are irrelevant for my
case, I'm afraid.

This is not the NIC. It's not its hardware or driver or firmware.
Otherwise, the virtual machine would have experienced the same problem
when bridging, and it doesn't.

Dmesg has nothing.

I will try and collect stats the next time the problem happens.

I am using network manager, but I highly doubt it is part of the
problem. The next time this problem happens, I'll try to take it down
and set up the networking parameters manually, see if it makes any
difference. As far as I can remember, I tried it and it didn't. I did
try restarting nm, the network driver and the wireless switch that is
the gateway (yes, all simultaneously), and that did not cause the
problem to go away.

Also, I'm using kernel 3.2.0-0.BPO.4-amd64 from the Debian squeeze
backports.

At work I ran into a similar problem in the past. There it was also a
3.2 kernel, compiled from the vanilla tree (a couple of patches, both
seem totally irrelevant). There the symptoms were similar, but there the
TCP/IP stack would not receive any responses at all. DHCP would also
fail. Running tcpdump, however, would show the packets arriving. There,
too, the only way I found of resetting the problem was to reset the
machine. I am beginning to suspect this is a kernel bug. It strikes me
as weird, however, that it would happen to me on two distinct machines,
and yet not show up on Google.

Actually, that is not entirely true. I did find
http://bbs.archbang.org/viewtopic.php?id=2435, but no solution. I'll
keep on searching. It would help had I known how to trigger the bug...

Shachar

On 01/22/2013 02:32 AM, Baruch Shpirer wrote:

> Nothing in dmesg?
> Which nic hw and fw and driver version + kernel?
> Stats on nic
> Using nm?
>
> On Jan 20, 2013 2:49 PM, "Shachar Shemesh" <shachar at shemesh.biz
> <mailto:shachar at shemesh.biz>> wrote:
>
>     Hi all,
>
>     I have a really strange problem. On one of the computers in my
>     house, parts of the internet keep on disappearing. Sometimes half
>     the internet is inaccessible, and sometimes it's just a couple of
>     sites (google is a favorite for this problem).
>
>     This is, most definitely, NOT a router or ISP problem. Other
>     computers on the same network are working fine. A virtual machine
>     connecting via a bridge on the same network is working fine (via
>     NAT it does not).
>
>     Bringing the interface down and back up does not help.
>
>     Existing connections remain connected, without a problem.
>
>     The only thing that restores connectivity is rebooting (!!)
>
>     There is nothing out of the ordinary in the routing table.
>
>     Ideas?
>
>     Shachar
>
>     --
>     Shachar Shemesh