[OT somewhat] DDOS attacks, where to report?

Jonathan Ben Avraham yba at tkos.co.il
Sat Jan 26 23:39:05 IST 2013

Hi Eliyahu,
See inlines below.

On Sat, 26 Jan 2013, E.S. Rosenberg wrote:

> Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2013 23:22:18 +0200
> From: E.S. Rosenberg <esr+linux-il at g.jct.ac.il>
> To: Jonathan Ben Avraham <yba at tkos.co.il>
> Cc: ILUG <linux-il at cs.huji.ac.il>
> Subject: Re: [OT somewhat] DDOS attacks, where to report?
>
> Why should the ISP have that responsibility?
>
> They are as far as most of us are concerned not even supposed to do DPI (deep packet inspection) and without DPI they have almost no way of telling the difference between a site that is under attack and a site that just posted something that is so
> popular that everyone is going there also effectively DDOS'ing...

Once the user reports the crime to the ISP, does the ISP then have any
responsibility to report the crime, like other crimes?

> The responsibility to go to the authorities lies squarly with the victim, elthough you might expect some good citizenship from the ISP if they signal illegal activities they still have a very hard time telling the legit from the illegitimate
> traffic.

This is not true in general under Israeli law, as I have found out myself
from unfortunate personal experience. See
http://he.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D7%90%D7%99_%D7%9E%D7%A0%D7%99%D7%A2%D7%AA_%D7%A4%D7%A9%D7%A2

> Also ISPs in Israel don't even bother to put virus affected customers in quarantine where they are blocked from accessing the internet until they clean their computer(s), something which is fairly easy for them to implement and very much in the
> ISPs interest so why would they do more complicated things like dissecting attacks?

Not necessarily analyzing attacks, just reporting them.

> (I know some of the better ISPs outside of Israel do this)
>
> As far as an example of equipment goes, tweakers.net did a review on an anti DDOS firewall appliance in 2010:
> http://tweakers.net/reviews/1648/riorey-rx1810-how-to-put-a-firewall-through-hell.html
>
> Such an appliance would iirc not be usefull at the ISP level since it utilizes traffic patterns

Thanks,

  - yba