[OT somewhat] DDOS attacks, where to report?

Jonathan Ben Avraham yba at tkos.co.il
Sun Jan 27 01:54:36 IST 2013

On Sun, 27 Jan 2013, shimi wrote:

> Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2013 00:30:02 +0200
> From: shimi <linux-il at shimi.net>
> To: Jonathan Ben Avraham <yba at tkos.co.il>
> Cc: ILUG <linux-il at cs.huji.ac.il>
> Subject: Re: [OT somewhat] DDOS attacks, where to report?
>
> On Sat, Jan 26, 2013 at 11:39 PM, Jonathan Ben Avraham <yba at tkos.co.il> wrote:
>
> This is not true in general under Israeli law, as I have found out myself from unfortunate personal experience. See http://he.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D7%90%D7%99_%D7%9E%D7%A0%D7%99%D7%A2%D7%AA_%D7%A4%D7%A9%D7%A2
>

> This law is about telling the authorities about a CRIME THAT IS GOING TO HAPPEN, that you know about, so that the authorities can stop the criminal PRIOR to the act of crime.
>
> Unless you claim the ISP KNOWS that a DDoS will happen (in the future) to the customer (they can't possibly know. like I've already said - chances of catching the source behind a DDoS are almost nil) - I personally find it difficult to understand
> why you think this law is relevant on our case...

Hi Shimi,
This law is in fact applied to ongoing crime as well as futire crime. It's
not enough that you know someone has been trafficking Ukrainain girls for
two years already to exempt you from reporting it if you find out about
it.

> Also, not even sure that this is called a crime that happens within the borders of Israel. After all, the attacker, and his 'associate' computers, are all (for the lack of better knowledge) outside the borders of Israel when this happens. Again,
> the Israeli police (or Government) has no jurisdiction over the whole Internet...

It's is enough for the victim to be affected in Israel for it to be a
crime in Israel.

> I think it is time for me to quote from the Serenity Prayer:
>
> "God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, The courage to change the things I can, And wisdom to know the difference."
>
> Of course, I wish your friend luck if he opts to pursue this anyways, with the hope for: a) any sort of success, and b) that he won't waste so much time/money on his attempts...

I'm wondering if there isn't a public policy initiative that we should be
pushing, perhaps through ISOC-IL. I mean, I'm all for prayer, that's
necessary, but sometimes concrete action is required. The problem here is
that some small players are getting soaked disproportionately for the
county's wars.

  - yba

--
  EE 77 7F 30 4A 64 2E C5  83 5F E7 49 A6 82 29 BA    ~. .~   Tk Open Systems
      - yba at tkos.co.il - tel: +972.2.679.5364, http://www.tkos.co.il -