Permissions to access USB camera under debian

E.S. Rosenberg esr+linux-il at g.jct.ac.il
Wed Jul 3 02:05:28 IDT 2013

(re:all)
2013/7/2 Evgeniy Ginzburg <nad.oby at gmail.com>:
> ls /dev/ before and after connecting camera let you determine which /dev/
> nodes are creared.
*if* device nodes are created...
> ls -l /dev/something gives you user and group this device node created
> under.
> id [username] gives you in which groups this user enlisted.
> Add this user to group that have read/write access to node.
> If unfortunately device node under root:root you'll have to mess with udev
> rules.
>
> Regards, Evgeniy.
I would go with the suggestion above on udev rules, if your kernel has
drivers for the device, some automagically generated rules may already
exist, on Debian that would be /etc/udev/rules.d/
As a quick and dirty fix you can of course just run chmod a+rw on the
device node.
Also tail syslog while connecting/disconnecting the device and maybe
also during the access attempt there's a wealth of good info there.

HTH,
Eliyahu - אליהו