when linux was linux

Oleg Goldshmidt pub at goldshmidt.org
Tue Jul 16 20:56:50 IDT 2013

> On Tue, Jul 16, 2013 at 8:28 AM, Erez D <erez0001 at gmail.com> wrote:

>> so we found ourselves with 6 instances of nautiluis (we have 6 users)
>> eating all the 4 cpus after searching the web and failing to solve
>> the problem, i decided to move to a lighter desktop so we all
>> switched to xfce4 but now we have 6 xfdesktop processes eating the 4
>> cpus, with no solution to be found

My first suspects would be one of the following:

a) All sorts of "previews" (in nautilus and possibly other programs) -
   there have been issues with, say, SVG files, especially large ones
   such as wallpapers, or with directories with a lot of audio files and
   so on, and so forth. searching RH's Bugzilla may point to ways to
   check those kinds of problems. Some configuration tweakery (e.g.,
   disabling previews for certain kinds of files) or updating to pull in
   a bugfix in case something like librsvg2 is old may help.

b) Some sort of desktop indexing program similar to beagle (was it?)
   that runs in the backround for each user. I always disable/uninstall
   those - they are useless (for me) and annoying. You may know this is
   not the case from knowing which process higs the CPUs, but just to
   cover this angle as well.

Disclaimers:

1) I have no real idea what the problem is in your case.
2) I do not even use nautilus or GNOME or XFCE myself, I am only waving
   my hands vigorously here.

Oleg Goldshmidt | pub at goldshmidt.org