Canada's Start-up Visa

Geoffrey S. Mendelson geoffreymendelson at gmail.com
Tue Jul 23 07:42:24 IDT 2013

On 7/23/2013 6:07 AM, Tom Balazs wrote:
> Q: What is the minimum investment that I would need to apply for a
> start-up visa?
>
> A: You must secure a minimum investment of $200,000 if the investment
> comes from a designated Canadian venture capital fund.
>
> You must secure a minimum investment of $75,000 if the investment comes
> from a designated Canadian angel investor group.
>
> http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/business/start-up/index.asp

Or if it turns out that you were born in Canada, or have a relative that
was born in Canada, you are a Canadian citizen.

I was born in Canada, my parents were dual US/Canadian citizens. I moved
to the US when I was 5, and never went back, so I lost my citizenship.

About two years ago, the law was changed, and I am now a Canadian
citizen, so is my wife, my children (who have never been to Canada), and
their spouses and their children*.

I think it goes farther than that.

In order to claim your free citizenship, you fill out a form and send
them $75, which gets you a citizen's ID card (similar to a tehudat
zehut). Once you have one of those you can apply for a passport.

Since the citizenship was bestowed upon you, and not requested it does
not affect your other (e.g. US or Israeli citizenship) you may have, nor
does it incur any tax liability.

Geoff.

* My oldest son is the only one who is married and it turns out his
wife's father was born in Canada, so he would also be a citizen, and so
would his children because his wife is now a citizen.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson,  N3OWJ/4X1GM/KBUH7245/KBUW5379