Retooling my mail server

Ira Abramov Lists-Linux-IL at ira.abramov.org
Tue Jul 23 12:51:24 IDT 2013

Quoting Tzafrir Cohen, from the post of Fri, 19 Jul:
> > > http://sealedabstract.com/code/nsa-proof-your-e-mail-in-2-hours/ and I
> >
> > http://workaround.org/ispmail/squeeze
> > Similar in attitude
> >
> > http://www.iredmail.org/
> > A script that you run and it does everything (?) for you
>
> If you go this route, here's another one:
> http://yunohost.org/

Thanks, I'll look at them.

You asked about my list of requirements, so:

1. I have my own mail server, I want to upgrade it. it's time I learn
DKIM, SPF and other tools that didn't exist when I first built it.

2. I want to use more SSL and TLS wherever possible, the NSA are not the
only big brother around.

3. I want to try and detach myself from SAAS I can't control, so I'm
thinking OwnCloud instead of Dropbox, getting back to my own server
rather than waiting for the other shoe to drop at Gmail, etc.

4. I'll still need to manage multiple virtual mail domains. I would very
much require catch-all addresses and mail-EXT at domain extensions because
me and my current users rely heavily on that.

5. I want a modern, web-managed list server.

6. I like managing my mail in tagged conversations rather than
folder-sorted messages. I hope to find a webUI that will do that for me.
I have not yet looked into the latest versions og IMP, roundcube,
squirrel and friends, but I remember they don't offer it.

So if you have insights and recommendations (hopefully ones that don't
involve LDAP which I hate with my guts), I'll appreciate the input :)

--
Where it's at
Ira Abramov