Blu-Ray and Linux

E.S. Rosenberg esr+linux-il at g.jct.ac.il
Wed Jun 12 17:10:22 IDT 2013

2013/6/12 Omer Zak <w1 at zak.co.il>:
> Thanks to all those who replied (both in private and to this mailing
> list) to my Blu-Ray questions.
>
> Turns out that for storing 1TB data, Blu-Ray is not cheaper than an
> external disk drive of equivalent storage capability.  The only
> advantage of Blu-Ray would be immunity against EMP.  Even then, I have
> no way to ensure that the Blu-Ray media I would buy are certified to be
> immune against EMP.
The nature of Blu-Ray or any other optical medium makes it immune to
EMP, it's not magnetec/electronic storage.
That said optical media suffer from rot/deterioration and unless you
get more expensive versions certified for multiyear storage and store
them under recommended circumstances you will probably do equally well
with both (unless you firmly believe we're going to be nuked soon and
you will be in a shape that you want access to your data after the
EMP)
Regards,
Eliyahu - אליהו