Blu-Ray and Linux

Omer Zak w1 at zak.co.il
Thu Jun 27 11:01:22 IDT 2013

On Thu, 2013-06-27 at 10:14 +0300, Nadav Har'El wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 12, 2013, Omer Zak wrote about "Re: Blu-Ray and Linux":
> > external disk drive of equivalent storage capability.  The only
> > advantage of Blu-Ray would be immunity against EMP.  Even then, I have
>
> Have you considered a second backup disk, in a faraday cage? :-)

I have two 2T backup disks and routinely back up my PC's hard disk using
a script which is based upon 'rsync -avH --link-dest'.  To back up about
550GB data (most of it is unchanged) takes, in my case, about 1:30
hours.  YMMV.

Does anyone know where to buy (or how to make) a Faraday cage suitable
for protecting a hard disk against EMP from an A-bomb exploding at
distance of say 10Km?
(The use case being my home city getting attacked while I am elsewhere.
For the moment, let's ignore any other disruptions which would prevent
me from actually using the data in the preserved hard disk.)

> > So the only reason to buy a Blu-Ray drive would be to view Blu-Ray
> > movies and TV series (such as Dr. Who).
>
> Or look those up in bittorrent ;-)

Are there any legal means, available to <oxymoron_alert>frayer
Israelis</oxymoron_alert>, who wish to buy such content and download it
via Internet, without bothering with physical media?

                                               --- Omer

--
As long as there are families which throw their teenager sons and
daughters out of home if they turn out to be gays or lesbians, Gay Pride

I may be affiliated in any way.