[YBA] Linux on Intel R1000GZ

Michael Vasiliev lists at infoscav.net
Sun Mar 3 16:04:11 IST 2013

For any distribution, I would suggest you not rely on the installer to do any
kind of helpful work on your part when it comes to new or exotic hardware. I
have a few years of experience making RAID cards work and it practically
always requires manual intervention. Be it to make the array bootable or marry
the working configuration with the update scripts. It always requires deep
understanding of which driver operates your card, which firmware is loaded and
by which script, and what the package post and preinstall scripts will do when
said package is upgraded. The best advice I can give is once it works, be sure
to backup the entire bootchain, the kernel drivers, startup scripts, firmware
and fw loading scripts, everything. Not once the update would make the system
unbootable or arrays inavailable.

As for initial startup, I usually go with booting just about any LifeCD that
is able to detect the RAID, then unpack the basic set of the desired distro's
packages manually into a root directory, then start working on boot sequence,
taking notes in the process. It's somewhat more time-consuming, but the
advantage is a steady pace of progress towards a working setup, as opposed to
taking pot shots in the dark, trying different distros and versions and hoping
for a lucky break. If a distro or LiveCD works, take notes of kernel, drivers
and RAID configuration, version numbers and loading mechanism, then recreate
the same with the distro you want. Distros shipping bad/buggy firmware is
definately not something unheard of.