Linux Consultant

Shachar Shemesh shachar at shemesh.biz
Thu May 9 18:39:07 IDT 2013

On 05/09/2013 10:51 AM, Mord Behar wrote:
> On Thu, May 9, 2013 at 10:47 AM, Geoffrey S. Mendelson
> <geoffreymendelson at gmail.com <mailto:geoffreymendelson at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     On 05/09/2013 10:37 AM, Mord Behar wrote:
>
>         I was approached by somebody to help out with a Linux project.
>         The thing is, I don't know how much to charge (by the hour). I
>         have not
>         yet finished my bachelor's in CompSci, and have no formal Linux
>         training. I have been using Linux for years, and am currently
>         employed
>         as a tech support person (windows and Linux systems).
>         So, what is a good asking price?  What is the market like?
>

>     Since you are not in the business, it might be better to ask them
>     what they want to pay for your time.
>
>     If you like the answer, take it.
>

>     Note that there are tax implications, you have to pay taxes based
>     on the income being above your current income. You should also
>     look at your current contract, you may have agreed not to work for
>     anyone else.
>

> I already checked, I'm good on that score. As for taxes, yes. I made
> that clear on the very first phone call, that he would have to pay me
> enough to make it worth my while, not just time-wise.
The rough estimate is to take the base salary you want, divide it by 186
(number of work hours a month), and add 40% to get the hourly rate.

The 40% is due to the difference between the base salary and the income
as calculated by a free lancer. It incorporates the money paid by the
employer for your pension fund, קרן השתלמות, paid vacation and social
security.

So, if you want to receive a 10,000 salary for this job, that would
translate to about 75 sheqels an hour + VAT (if you are not exempt).

Shachar

--
Shachar Shemesh