Cloud Backup

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Thu May 16 09:11:00 IDT 2013

Nadav, Amazon has a special service made just for this:
http://aws.amazon.com/glacier/pricing/

The trick with Glacier is that the data is stored _offline_. That
means two things:
1) It is actually more failure-redundant than EBS, S3, or rsync.net
2) You get your data about an hour _after_ you request it.

Data transfer in is free and data transfer out has a free tier per
month. Data storage is the absolute cheapest on the internet.

Again I stress, this is the _most_failure_redundant_ service that
exists. It is specifically designed for long-term backup and
archiving.

Furthermore, I am very happy with Amazon's cloud offerings. I have had
very good experience with their support teams.

On Sat, Feb 23, 2013 at 6:15 PM, Nadav Har'El <nyh at math.technion.ac.il> wrote:
> Hi, I'm looking for a "cloud backup" solution for Linux, where I'll be
> able to use "rsync", "sftp" (and similar utilities) to a remote server
> to back up by files, and when needed, look at individual files (e.g.,
> using sshfs) or restore all my files.
>
> I am *not* looking for a solution based on special purpose (and usually,
> closed source) utilities or daemons that attempt to decide for me what to
> back up and when - I want to be of full control of this process.
>
> For the last 3 years, I've been using the services of "rsync.net", and
> they're doing exactly what I want. However, the storage price I pay them
> is 40 cents per gigabyte per month, is 4 times that of Amazon's, so I
> think there must be a cheaper solution.
>
> One thing I've been thinking - wouldn't it be fairly easy to store my
> files on Amazon's S3 or even more simply EBS, and then run rsync server
> on a micro instance on EC2? Sounds like a cheap, convenient backup
> solution for Linux diehards like myself, and I wonder if anyone has
> done this before and then I won't need to code this myself?
>
> Thanks,
> Nadav.
>
> --
> Nadav Har'El                        |      Saturday, Feb 23 2013, 13 Adar 5773
> Phone +972-523-790466, ICQ 13349191 |Creativity consists of coming up with
> http://nadav.harel.org.il           |many ideas, not just that one great idea.

Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il
http://what-is-what.com