Cloud Backup

Oleg Goldshmidt pub at goldshmidt.org
Fri May 17 11:43:54 IDT 2013

Shachar Shemesh <shachar at shemesh.biz> writes:

> On 17/05/13 10:13, Ghiora Drori wrote:
>
>     https://aws.amazon.com/glacier/#highlights
>     Quote: "Amazon Glacier is designed to provide average annual
>     durability of 99.999999999% "
>
>     If this is not good enough for you too bad.
>

> When you see someone, anyone, saying such a thing, run. As fast and as
> far as you can.
>
> This level of assurance is called "nine nines"(henceforth 9*9). It
> amounts to one thousandth of a second of downtime a year.

I think you are misreading the claim, Shachar. It is not about
availablity, it is about "durability". I read it as a measure of the
probability that your data will not be lost before a year passes.

Disclaimer: I have never used the service and th above is my "common
sense and reading comprehension" take on what is written in the above
website.

Oleg Goldshmidt | pub at goldshmidt.org