Fwd: DVB-T and Linux updated.

geoffrey mendelson geoffreymendelson at gmail.com
Sat Nov 23 18:56:35 IST 2013

This has been a long standing question and I have an answer. It may not
be the only answer, but here is one that worked for me with a minimum of
effort.

I have spent more time, and here is more (hopefully useable) information.

I am using Zorin 7 x86 version. (It's an UBUNTU derivative) running Kernel 3.8.

I had two old sticks. One was an APEX (Geniatech) T328B. It worked under Windows,
but I was never able to get it to work under Linux. It uses an AF9015 chipset.

I found on the Geniatech website the latest Windows drivers for it which load the proper
firmware into the stick. There is a driver for it in the 3.8 Kernel, but nowhere is there
the proper firmware for it, so it is unusable under Linux.

I tried all available firmware versions. If someone wants to try and strip the firmware
from the windows drivers, or knows whom to contact, I can forward you the link,
contact me off list.

The second one just says "Nikom" on it. It works with the same Geniatech driver, but it turns
out it has an AF9035 chipset in it. The 3.8 Kernel has a driver for it, and the latest version
of available firmware works fine in it.

The third is a TerraTec Cinergy +, which uses an RTL2382U chipset and an Elonics E4000 receiver.
These used to be available for as little as $10 on eBay.

It is supported in the 3.8 Kernel.

These are now very hard to get. The TerraTec ones are over $40 on eBay, but there are ones that claim to have E4000 receivers,
for around $15. Many of them are listed as E4000 "upgrade version" and really have (it's in the fine print) R820T tuners.

THESE STICKS ARE NOT SUPPORTED IN LINUX. There is a working Kernel module for them available, but you have to compile it yourself.
It is scheduled to be included in the 3.10 Kernel.

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson 4X1GM/N3OWJ
Jerusalem Israel.