Request-for-Comments: The "How to Get Help Online (2013)" Document

Shlomi Fish shlomif at gmail.com
Thu Oct 31 15:17:21 IST 2013

Hi all,

I have written a document titled “How to Get Help Online (2013)” and one can
read it here:

http://www.shlomifish.org/philosophy/computers/how-to-get-help-online/2013.html

(It is still not linked from the rest of the site).

This document grew out of me concluding that it is highly possible many
inexperienced users do not know how and where to effectively get help online
with their problems. As a result, I wrote this document to distill my
knowledge
and experience.

I am aware of this document -
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html - it is written well and
is
a commendable effort, but mine serves a somewhat different purpose (=
explaining
where to look for information instead of how to effectively do it yourself)
and
I link to “How to ask Questions the Smart Way” in my newer document.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Regards,

    Shlomi Fish