Booting HD without grub

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Thu Sep 12 19:34:56 IDT 2013

Why do you want to boot it just once? Perhaps if we knew what you were
trying to do, we could suggest other alternatives. For instance, if the
disk is small, you could ddrescue it off to an image, dd that image
onto a larger or same disk, and use that disk in another computer as
sda.

Or you could copy the Mandrake partition to a partition made of unused
space on SDA, modify the /etc/fstab to either rename the devices, or
better mount by UUID, and then add that partition to your current grub.

I've seen things like you mention, where the live CD can boot only sda.
And Grub really is a PITA.

SteveT