OT: Hybrid cars

Oleg Goldshmidt pub at goldshmidt.org
Tue Sep 17 13:36:01 IDT 2013

"Nadav Har'El" <nyh at math.technion.ac.il> writes:

> This is not how the fuel consumption guage worked on any of the cars I
> had... It's always a momentary measurement - I can see 0 (when the
> engine is shut down on an hybrid car), put the pedal to the metal -
> and jump to 20L / 100km in an instant. It's not a running average (at
> least, not an average of more than a few seconds).

So my car has both, what's so surprising in the fact that different
makes and models have different functionality? I know of lots of
features that my car has and other cars don't, and the other way
around. Hell, the bloody warning blinkers in my car have an extra state
machine that I have never seen in any other car. Took me ~3.5 years to
discover it by pure chance. I am sure I paid for it, too. :-)

> It's really hard to get any meaningful measurement without averaging
> over long periods.

I think my previous post explained the meaning of "long" compared to
fuctuation scale. Note again that Guy and I were discussing economy in a
particular driving regime rather than long term consumption over your
typical driving pattern.

Oleg Goldshmidt | pub at goldshmidt.org