Announce: OSv, a new open-source operating system for virtual machines

Shachar Shemesh shachar at shemesh.biz
Fri Sep 20 07:36:59 IDT 2013

On 16/09/13 23:36, Nadav Har'El wrote:
> Hi, today we've made the first release of OSv, a new operating system for
> running applications on virtual machines.
Here's something that happens whenever someone tries such a thing, and
I'm wondering whether you gave it any thought. The project always starts
with "I'll do something simple", and in your case, it would appear, you
are targeting Java based applications.

What happens next, however, is that it turns out that this simply isn't
good enough. If you remain in a niche, you will not serve most than 2-3%
of the market's need, in which case those who have any use for you will
not find you. You then say "sure, I'll add more generic features", at
which point you start hitting walls: Applications that simply won't work
unless you can do process separation. Bugs that are impossible to find
unless the kernel is separated. Critical infrastructure that requires
some level of POSIX compliance.

Do you have any plans on how to handle that? Or do you say "we don't
support "fork", and anything that requires it will simply not work".

Don't get me wrong. I think it's a cool idea, and I'm sure the technical
aspects of it are great.

Shachar

P.S.
Do you support vfork?