geolocation in firefox

Tomer Cohen tomer at gmx.net
Wed Apr 16 00:15:50 IDT 2014

The browser geolocation feature meant to provide sites access to an accurate
location data from a GPS receiver or other techniques. This feature is in
use by Google Maps as well as some other sites, but require your permission
before submitting your location data once or per-session.
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/WebAPI/Using_geolocation

Sites can't ever access this data without your prior permission. Since this
is probably not the case, I don't think the geolocation API was used. The
site in question probably located you by the GeoIP feature, which doesn't
provide accurate location but a country of origin or estimated region in
the country. It is more difficult to fake GeoIP since it is based only by
your IP address, but you can use a proxy or a VPN to remove your traces.

Given that said, sometimes it is easier to just change a preference on the
site to provide you the site in another language (but still this won't
remove any country restrictions for content).

On Tue, Apr 15, 2014 at 11:55 PM, sara fink <sara.fink at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello Everyone
>
> I changed enable.geolocation to false in firefox, but it still doesn't
> work with the site that I want to enter. I am still redirected to israeli
> site instead of the abroad site.
>
> Anyone knows why this configuration doesn't work? Is there another way to
> make it work? I tried the extension of geolocater but this one also doesn't
> work for new firefox versions

Tomer Cohen
http://tomercohen.com