Running multiple versions of PHP under Apache

E.S. Rosenberg esr+linux-il at g.jct.ac.il
Tue Aug 26 01:43:09 IDT 2014

>  I have a Debian Wheezy machine two virtual hosts configured on a single
> machine. One requires PHP 5.3 and the other requires PHP 5.4+. I am trying
> to set up the machine to allow both to run.
>
> So far I have added php-fpm (fastcgi) as per
> https://www.linode.com/docs/websites/apache/running-fastcgi-php-fpm-on-debian-7-with-apache
> .
>
> This site (
> http://www.howtoforge.com/how-to-use-multiple-php-versions-php-fpm-and-fastcgi-with-ispconfig-3-debian-wheezy)
> talks about using ISPConfig 3 for this. I have downloaded and compiled the
> 5.3 version of PHP but using ISPConfig seems to be a big headache.
>
> From http://thejibe.com/blog/14/02/phpfarm it would seem like I should be
> able to have the configuration done within the virtualhost directives but
> that page seems to be out of date and I didn't follow all of the changes
> being suggested.

The page is barely a half year old and a quick scan seems to be that it is
in the right direction, it is using what you yourself were also
considering: fastcgi.

> Is it possible to use fpm pools to reference different PHP versions?
>
> What are my other options for having two virtual hosts using different PHP
> versions on the same machine?

A very far fetched and convoluted way would be to run nginx with fastcgi
and specific php versions on different ports and modrewrite certain
paths/urls to it....
HTH,
Eliyahu - אליהו