Who is leaking memory in my Linux Jessie/KDE4 installation?

Omer Zak w1 at zak.co.il
Fri Aug 29 11:41:22 IDT 2014

I have a 8GB PC which runs Linux Debian Jessie with KDE 4.4.
My problem is to find out who is occupying almost 4GB memory some time
after rebooting, even when nothing heavy is running.

The heaviest applications that I run are:
- A VirtualBox virtual machine occupying 3GB memory
- Google Chrome browser (version 37.0.2062.94, 64-bit)
- Evolution 3.12.2.

However, even when they are closed, a lot memory is still reported to be
in use.

My question is: besides top, what tools can be used to find who is using
all this memory?
The next question, of course, is how to get rid of those memory hogs
without destabilizing the system.

--- Omer

--
More proof the End of the World has started. Just saw this online:
I think it's beginning! Ten minutes ago there was a group of people

I may be affiliated in any way.