Any experience with cubox-i?

Amos Shapira amos.shapira at gmail.com
Sat Feb 1 22:59:45 IST 2014

Just wanted to thank everyone for your opinions.

I also talked to a friend who owns an Apple TV and saw it in operation (the
one which can't be hacked, he uses DNS forwarding tricks to make it talk to
his storage. Don't ask - it's stuff that he accumulated over years) and he
also thinks that the Cubox looks good for my needs.

Cheers,

--Amos

On 15 January 2014 04:38, Udi Finkelstein <Linux-IL at udif.com> wrote:

> If you want to follow the state of Linux and XBMC on ARM, you can take a
> look at this thread:
> http://www.hometheater.co.il/vt168648.XBMC-on-Linux-for-Arm-Devices.html
>
> Udi
>

> On Tue, Jan 14, 2014 at 7:18 PM, geoffrey mendelson <
> geoffreymendelson at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 1/13/2014 3:00 PM, Amos Shapira wrote:
>>

>>> The attraction I see in Cubox is the ability to run standard Linux on
>>> it. Isn't it better than android-only on some hardware from China?
>>>
>>>  The Cubox seems to be the same general hardware with less ports. What I
>> don't understand is why they are pushing the $100 unit, when for $30 more
>> you get twice the cores and twice the RAM.
>>
>> I don't know what the other units run, the one  I pointed to did not
>> officially support Linux, it does not mean it won't run on it.
>>
>> I was a victim of feature creep, I started out with a direct from China
>> Chromecast (without the brand name) and ended up with an Arm based PC.
>>
>> As for Android, what bothers me about it is that unless you root the
>> device you can't add device drivers (which may not be an issue to you, it
>> turns out not to be one to me), and the UI for some things sucks. If you
>> look back to the how to play videos link  I posted, it works, but my wife
>> would never use such a thing. A simple App which would list files on a file
>> server, where you could tap to play them, with all the setup hidden would
>> be right for her. I also have not found a player that can fast forward
>> within MP4 files. :-(
>>
>> Or in plain English, I would be a lot happier if XMBC worked on my
>> tablet, or someone copied the Apple TV player as an Android App.
>>
>> As far as running bit torrent, the thing that I have found that affects
>> download rates the most is latency. If you have a fast multicore X86 (or
>> X64) processor, a wired ethernet connection and a fast upload speed, you
>> get a lot faster downloads, even if your slower CPU is not heavily loaded.
>>

>> Geoff.
>>
>> --
>> Geoffrey S. Mendelson 4X1GM/N3OWJ
>> Jerusalem Israel.