Mageia Linux 4 is out.

Shlomi Fish shlomif at gmail.com
Thu Feb 6 19:52:28 IST 2014

Hi Shlomo,

I assume you intended to send the message to the list as well, so I'm CCing
it. Next time please either make sure you hit "Reply to All" or
alternatively specify that the message is deliberately sent in private (and
why). (See my signature for more info).

On Mon, Feb 3, 2014 at 7:04 PM, Shlomo Solomon <shlomo.solomon at gmail.com>wrote:

> How safe is it to upgrade online? I can see the mgaonline notification
> on the panel.

I've done it in virtual machines several times and it worked fine. Some
people have done it on live hardware. There may be some complications, but
as opposed to Mageia 2 -> Mageia 3 / etc. I don't think there were any
major breakages like the /usr-move or the init->systemd transitions. Don't
hold me accountable if something breaks, but I believe it should be mostly
fine.

For doing such upgrades, I use command line tools like tmux, urpmi.update
and urpmi.

> When I was running Mandriva I always upgraded manually or re-installed
> so I don't know how dependable this is.

It should be OK. I've done net upgrades in Mandriva too.

> Of course it goes without saying that I won't do anything without a
> full backup in place.

That's always a good idea.

Regards,

-- Shlomi Fish