Why does it take the debian-7.3.0-i386-lxde-CD-1.iso installer so long to install inside a VirtualBox VM?

Why does it take the debian-7.3.0-i386-lxde-CD-1.iso installer so long to install inside a VirtualBox VM?

Geoff Shang geoff at QuiteLikely.com
Mon Jan 6 22:44:56 IST 2014

On Mon, 6 Jan 2014, Shlomi Fish wrote:

> P.S: another thing that annoys me about Debian is the fact that apt-get -y
> dist-upgrade still sometimes halts the installation process to ask me
> questions and prompts. This is a big misfeature and I wonder if there's a
> way to make apt-get completely non-interactive.

You could reconfigure the debconf package - see dpkg-reconfigure(8).
However, there are some questions that you probably should see when
upgrading, for example when a config file that ships in a package has been
modified since installation and you need to decide whether to install the
new config file or stick with the old one.  Having had to do this very
thing today, sometime the answer was one and sometimes the answer was the
other, and mostly it involved a bit of both (choosing one answer but
adding some content from the other).  The ability to view a diff betwee
the files is a big help in these situations.

Geoff.