linux-friendly ebook with decent support in Israel?

Vassilii Khachaturov vassilii at tarunz.org
Thu Jan 9 15:08:17 IST 2014

On 09.01.2014 14:08, geoffrey mendelson wrote:
> [SNIP]
>
> It's pretty much obsolete. Probably 99% of ebook reading is done on
> iPads and Android tablets. In the real world where people buy their
> eBooks, the iPad and Android tablet offer the ability to buy books
> from several sources, while the dedicated readers don't.
Thanks for your answer. When I posted a link to a matrix of all the
current eink-based readers, I assumed it is obvious I want an e-ink
based one. I'd think dedicated reader would be more energy/weight/price
efficient than a general purpose tablet, but anything with e-ink will
do! Also, as I had stated, I'm not interested in buying DRM books anyway...

On 09.01.2014 14:18, geoffrey mendelson wrote:
> On 1/9/2014 12:31 PM, Vassilii Khachaturov wrote:
>>
>> 5) isn't illegal to have in Israel because of its wireless
>> capabilities (in fact, I'd like to be able to disable any wireless
>> technology and not to use it anyway).
>
> BTW, that was only the original iPad, and it was blocked in an attempt
> to satisfy the cellular companies and iDigital that people would not
> smuggle them in and avoid paying their markup and VAT.
>
> In the end it turned out that they only used 2.4gHz WiFi and passed CE
> certification, which was enough to make them legal here.
Ah, I see! Thanks a lot, I haven't followed the development since the
original debate began.

V.