Which company or individual can sponsor me on a summer trip to Europe?

geoffrey mendelson geoffreymendelson at gmail.com
Mon Jul 7 10:51:35 IDT 2014

On 7/6/2014 10:50 PM, Shlomi Fish wrote:
> Anyway, the GPLv3 or whatever licence the GNU sub-projects have does
> not prevent me from using GNU software, so that's it.
The interesting point is that outside of a relatively small group of
developers project GNU has no bearing on anything. Free (as in beer)
software existed long before RMS, open source software, including
operating systems, existed long before Linux, or even BSD. And it
continues to exist long after.

I doubt that anyone one this list, or any other list for that matter,
runs 100% GPL licensed software on their computers. They may be running
only free and open source software, but I am sure some of it has a BSD
type, or other license.

So to answer the question someone posed, would we be running the same
thing as we are now if RMS never existed? Probably not. Something very
close, YES. Would LINUX have existed? Maybe. Maybe Linus would have
spent his time improving the free. open source, BSD instead. We actually
may have been doing better because a lot of time and effort was spent in
the 1990's producing GPL'ed version of BSD utilites that could have been
spent elsewhere.

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson 4X1GM/N3OWJ