self mail hosting

Shachar Shemesh shachar at shemesh.biz
Sun Jun 8 19:00:12 IDT 2014

On 08/06/14 14:39, Gabor Szabo wrote:
> Instead of getting a static IP and doing this at home, have you
> considered renting a VPS?
> For example at Digital Ocean you can get one for $5/month which is not
> much more than
> the 15 NIS / month that was mentioned here for static IP and it is
> very easy to handle.
>
> Such server can do way more than just handling your e-mail.  I have
> two "droplets" there.
>
> https://www.digitalocean.com/
>
> Gabor
>
> and if you are in the mood, use my refcode to give me some credit
>
> https://www.digitalocean.com/?refcode=0d4cc75b3a74
> <http://ocean.com/?refcode=0d4cc75b3a74>

I personally use contabo (http://contabo.com/?show=vps). Their cheapest
plan is slightly more expensive (8Euro/month), but provide oh so much
more (comparing with the similarly priced plan at digital ocean: 200GB
storage vs. 30GB, 4GB memory vs. 1GB, Unlimited traffic (so long as the
average isn't over 20Mb/s) vs. 2TB).

To be fair, assuming completely uniform traffic distribution, that last
number translates to a bit over 6TB/month. Since no one's traffic is
really uniform, I think we can assume that the traffic cap is, more or
less, the same.

I'd send a syndicated link, but I don't think they have such a program.
I have absolutely zero stake in whether you use their service or not.

Shachar