self mail hosting

Guy Gold guy1gold at gmail.com
Sun Jun 8 19:42:33 IDT 2014

On Sun, Jun 8, 2014 at 5:27 AM, Efraim Flashner <efraim.flashner at gmail.com>
wrote:

> If anyone has any experience doing their own mail and want to share,
> I'd love to hear about it.
>
> -Efraim

Efraim,
Using a globally recognized smart host makes the most sense, technically
and financially.
If you do end up getting a static IP, no one can assure you that it would
not have a bad record somewhere, is some span engine. (many times, they
do), and, if it was ever used to send spam, you'll have to go through the
ranks of each spam data provider, to convince them you're actually a nice
guy.

When I was doing my own email, I was using smtp.com as my smarthost, they
cost (about 2 years ago), 5$/month, for a high volume of email. My emails
never ended up in anyone's Spam folder after using them, AFAIK.
They're U.S based, so, I wonder (and hope), that someone closer to ISR
offers the same service.
My exim.conf  (on debian) file had this:

smarthost:
  driver = manualroute
  domains = ! +local_domains
  transport = remote_msa